Institution at a glance:
Field of study:
Since being established in 1992 in partnership with the Swiss Hotel Association (SHA) and the South Australian Government; ICHM has produced graduates of the highest calibre that now work at all levels of management within the international hospitality industry.
ICHM's unique "One Program, Two Degrees" course prepares you for a career in a wide variety of hospitality businesses. It also equips you with the necessary business acumen to work in a number of other professions outside the industry. The balance of theory and real industry placements provides graduates with a genuine advantage when competing for future employment.
During the academic semesters ICHM students are broadly informed about all aspects of the international hospitality industry, from a basic operational perspective right through to a senior management level within broader social, cultural and economic contexts.
They are then provided with real industry placements within Australia or overseas that allow them to learn the industry first hand beyond the walls of their structured classes. This real world experience is invaluable in helping them understand the theoretical concepts they have learnt within a working environment; it also allows them to build significant industry networks.
ICHM graduates are working globally as supervisors and specialists right through to senior and general managers. A number also work outside the industry in areas such as marketing, IT, human resources and their own businesses.
The International College of Hotel Management (ICHM) prepares students for hotel management roles based on the acclaimed Swiss Hotel Association (SHA) model that stresses the importance of learning all aspects of the hotel industry.
As a student, you can choose to finish your studies after completing the Bachelor of Business (Hospitality Management); or, go on to complete the more advanced Bachelor of International Hotel Management (Swiss Hotel Association). The second degree provides students with additional international management studies aimed at giving you a competitive industry advantage.
Starting from an operational and basic business management perspective, the students knowledge base is built upon each year with new industry relevant concepts and business applications. By the time they complete the program they have obtained a comprehensive understanding of the international hotel environment, right through to a senior management level!
Each year at ICHM is comprised of six months full time study, followed by a six month full time industry placement throughout Australia or even overseas! Along with the formal academic study, these industry placements play a vital role in their education as well as their career development, providing a wealth of networking opportunities.
By the time they graduate, ICHM Graduates can enjoy excellent career prospects with many obtaining highly sought after positions around the world.
See the Academic Subjects and Descriptors page for more detailed information about each year of study.
ICHM is pleased to be able to offer two types of scholarships for entry into the 2017 intakes:
- Australian students (including students at Australian International Schools overseas) and international students completing high school in Australia.
- New Zealand students studying in NZ.
General information and the scholarship application form for 2017 entry is found below.
Regency International House
ICHM students have the first right of entry to Regency International House (RIH), an outstanding on-campus accommodation complex. All Year 1 students are given first priority, while returning students should book early.
Students can stay in villa style apartments, each apartment is comprised of four single bedrooms, kitchen and dining area, two bathrooms, desktop computer with internet access and a laundry. All meals are provided, three meals a day seven days a week; with staff on duty 24 hours a day. It is a real home away from home.
Here are 10 reasons why you should consider ICHM.
- The Swiss Hotel Association (SHA) is the world’s oldest industry body; formed in partnership with the South Australian Government ICHM is the only SHA hotel school outside of Europe.
- Students can finish with one or two degrees during their time at ICHM. The first is the Bachelor of Business (Hospitality Management); followed by the more advanced Bachelor of International Hotel Management (Swiss Hotel Association).
- Students have the opportunity to undertake industry placements every year of study, more than at any other hotel school in Australia.
- ICHM’s lecturers are equipped with extensive local and international hotel school industry experience or management knowledge. Their teaching skills and dedication to students produces advanced learning outcomes.
- The purpose built hospitality teaching facilities on the Regency Campus are world class, allowing students to hone their skills and knowledge in a realistic setting.
- The modern hotel school on-campus accommodation consists of single bedroom, villa style apartments with all meals included.
- Located in Adelaide, the capital of South Australia and a hub for hospitality, ICHM students undertake their studies in an ideal learning environment.
- Under current government regulations, international students who start and complete more than two years of their degree studies at ICHM can stay and work in Australia for up to two years after they graduate. For more information seehttp://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/485.aspx
- The professional hotelier and business skills students learn with ICHM are highly valued and sought after within hotels and also at management levels across a variety of other industries.
- We measure our success by our graduates. Employers of ICHM graduates range from boutique establishments to large multinational hotels. You will find them working as supervisors and specialists through to senior and general managers.