Institution at a glance:
Field of study:
UCL Australia is an integral part of University College London (UCL) – one of the foremost academic institutions in the world. We are a true academic powerhouse, currently ranked fourth in the QS World University Rankings 2014, with no fewer than 29 Nobel Prize winners within our community.
UCL is radically different. We were the first UK university to admit women, the first to admit students regardless of their race, class or religion and we remain committed to leadership, innovation and diversity. UCL Australia is UCL's first overseas campus and we are the first British university to establish a campus in Australia.
UCL Australia provides a novel, tangible and globally relevant learning experience. UCL qualifications are recognised and respected all around the world and our graduates are highly sought after by employers.
All courses offered at UCL Australia are post graduate.
Ratings and rankings
- 1st - we are the most productive and highly cited research university in Europe (source: SIR Global Ranking).
- 1st - rated the best research university in London, third best in the UK overall (according to HEFCE and 2008 Research Assessment Exercise).
- 5th best in the world (QS World University Rankings 2014).
- 28 Nobel Prize winners – one per decade since the prize’s inauguration in 1901.
- UCL qualifications are recognised and respected all over the world with graduates highly sought after by employers.
Faculties & Schools
- UCL School of Energy and Resources, Australia
- The energy and resources industry is under the spotlight now more than at any time in history. It is a highly globalised sector that presents diverse and exciting challenges and opportunities. As demand for energy and resources grows, the issues of energy security, affordability and regulation, sustainability, environmental impact and climate change require increasingly complex solutions. These worldwide challenges can only be solved through human ingenuity and global vision.
- The School of Energy and Resources brings UCL's vast expertise and experience to the centre of Australia's booming resource industry. We are committed to applying research to real-world problems for the benefit of the global society.
- Our world-leading approach combines academic research with hands-on industry experience. We are developing the management talent that will help industry to meet their challenges, innovate and prosper into the future.
- We give our students a deep understanding of the complexities of the energy and resources industries and equip them with the specialised technical knowledge they need to have a positive and practical impact. Our graduates consistently pursue sector management careers and help shape the energy and resources industry of the future.
- Partnering with the Government of South Australia, Santos Limited, BHP Billiton and other key industry players, the UCL School of Energy and Resources, Australia delivers world-class research and education, with industry input and focus.
- International Energy Policy Institute
- Energy policy is a complex and sensitive field facing substantial challenges and ever increasing geopolitical significance.
- The International Energy Policy Institute (IEPI) was created to address these challenges through intensive and innovative research.
- Seeded by donations from Santos and the BHP Billiton Sustainable Communities, our research centres on key upstream (exploration and production) issues, recognising the Asia Pacific's particular influence on global coal, nuclear and gas markets and its growing prominence in renewable energy. This focus is an important, though complementary, contrast to the downstream (consumer) focus at the UCL Energy Institute in London.
- Research at IEPI concentrates on open innovation in the transition to sustainable energy futures, including:
- adding value to energy resources
- fossil, nuclear and renewable energy futures
- community engagement
- climate strategies.
- Mullard Space Science Laboratory (Australia)
- The Mullard Space Science Laboratory (MSSL) delivers a broad, cutting-edge science programme, underpinned by strong capability in space science instrumentation, space-domain engineering, space medicine, systems engineering and project management.
- MSSL (Australia) delivers professional development programmes based on those offered within the UCL Centre for Systems Engineering. Our research and training programmes are industry-focused and hands-on.
- Currently MSSL (Australia) is looking at the development of hyperspectral imaging instrumentation for greenhouse gas monitoring and natural resource exploration.
Best study environment
- You will benefit from a programme of distinguished guest speakers from both industry and academia.
- Our high quality education and research programmes encourage creativity, innovation and independent thought.
- An interdisciplinary curriculum encompassing engineering, economics, policy, laws and political science.
- We value small-group teaching environments and tangible learning experiences.
- Major field trips organised through the year include BHP Billiton’s Olympic Dam (world’s largest uranium mine); Arrium’s steel rolling mills at Whyalla and Santos’ giant oil and gas assets in outback Australia.