Commercial Cookery is a fundamental part of the hospitality and tourism industries and offers a broad range of employment pathways.
Quality Training & Hospitality College is committed to providing our students with both underpinning theoretical knowledge as well as plenty of practical experience.
Students will undertake the practical components of the course within a fully equipped and operational commercial kitchen.
Study mode: Workplace, Classroom
Availability: SA, NSW, QLD
Students will complete 25 units in total:
21 core units and 4 elective units.
25 units must be completed
- 22 core units
- 3 elective units, consisting of:
- 3 units from the SIT30813 unit selection, elsewhere in SIT12 Training Package, or any other current Training Package or accredited course.
- Work effectively with others
- Participate in environmentally sustainable work practice
- Provide first aid
- Use food preparation equipment *
- Produce dishes using basic methods of cookery *
- Produce appetisers and salads*
- Produce stocks, sauces and soups*
- Produce vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes*
- Produce poultry dishes*
- Produce seafood dishes*
- Produce meat dishes*
- Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements*
- Produce cakes, pastries and breads*
- Work effectively as a cook*
- Clean kitchen premises and equipment *
- Plan and cost basic menus
- Produce dessert*
- Use hygienic practices for food safety
- Participate in safe food handling practices
- Coach other in job skills
- Maintain the quality of perishable items *
- Participate in safe work practices
3 elective units
- Prepare sandwiches*
- Handle and serve cheese*
- Manage diversity in the workplace
*Prerequisite is SITXFSA101 Use hygienic practices for food safety
Age requirement All applicants must be 18 years or over at commencement of course Education requirements Minimum completion of Year 12 in Australia and/or International equivalent.
The applicant’s first language is English; or the applicant has; successfully completed an Australian Year 12 programme; or successfully completed an English language course approved by Quality Training and Hospitality College; or an overall IELTS band score of at least 5.5; or a TOEFL score of at least 520; or at least 190 in the computer based TOEFL; or a score of 45 or higher in the Pearson Test of English.
Full Fees For domestic students who are not eligible for Government funding, the training is available as a full fee training plan. A 10% discount is available for domestic students partaking in full qualifications who make a total upfront payment on enrolment. Payment plans and RPL is available on request.
- Apprentice chef
- Short order cook
- Takeaway chef
- Kitchen staff