La Trobe has been one of Australia's pioneering universities for over forty-five years. Discover our unique history, including our motto and coat of arms.
Celebrating over 40 years of history
In 1967, 552 students enrolled at La Trobe University, the third University to open in Victoria.
It has grown to accommodate more than 30,000 students including approximately 7,600 international students from over 90 countries.
We now have a network of campuses with 21,000 students at our Melbourne campus and over 5,900 at our campuses in Albury-Wodonga, Bendigo, Mildura, Melbourne City and Shepparton.
Ratings and rankings
- The University features in the top 100 global universities in history (ranking at number 6 nationally), sociology (7th nationally), and communication and media studies (9th nationally).
- Seven La Trobe subjects are in the world's top 200 list: linguistics, agriculture, psychology, accounting and finance, education, law, politics and international studies.
- For English language and literature, the University ranks in the top 300, while computer science and Information systems as well as biological sciences also made the top 400 list.
- The latest Times Higher Education World University Subject Rankings also saw La Trobe among the top 100 universities in the arts and humanities, at number 99.
Faculties & Schools
- Arts and Communications
- Business and Commerce
- Education, Outdoor and Environmental Studies
- Health Sciences
- IT and Engineering
- Sciences and Psychology
Campus services and facilities
La Trobe Accommodation Services currently manages on campus accommodation at our regional campuses in Bendigo, Albury-Wodonga and on our Melbourne (Bundoora) campus. Accommodation options include on-campus undergraduate residences, on-campus post graduate and mature aged residences and family unit accommodation.
Life in residence gives students a unique opportunity for intellectual, social and personal development in a safe and dynamic residential community.
Starting at university where a student can be a face in the crowd, residents on campus share a unique partnership with other students and dedicated staff, which supports and enhances their student experience.