Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation. A desire to innovate and bring about positive change motivates our students and staff. The result is in an institution that grows and evolves each year.Swinburne has an international reputation for quality research that connects science and technology with business and the community. Our commitment to high-quality teaching and research is reflected in our rankings in a number of prestigious world academic ranking lists. We also rate highly for educational experience in The Good Universities Guide, Australia's only comprehensive degree and university ratings guide.
Ratings and rankings
- In 2016, Swinburne was ranked for the first time in the QS rankings for our world-class graduate employability. The QS Graduate Employability Rankings are based on graduate employment rates and partnerships between universities and employers. This ranking reinforces Swinburne as a university that provides practical career outcomes for its graduates.
- Swinburne's position as a world-class university was recognised in the 2016 Times Higher Education's Top 100 Most international universities rankings. Alongside Swinburne's second consecutive appearance in the 2015 QS Top 100 Under 50, these rankings reinforce Swinburne as a university with a depth of expertise in teaching and research, both in Australia and internationally.
- Swinburne was also ranked one of the world's top 400 universities by the prestigious 2015 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU). Swinburne also achieved a top 100 ranking in the ARWU in the field of physics.
- Swinburne was named one of the world’s top 400 universities by the Times Higher Education University World Rankings 2014–2015. In 2016, Swinburne was again ranked in the Times Higher Education Top 100 Under 50 Rankings, an index of the world’s top universities under the age of 50.
- Swinburne has also been recognised as having one of the best design schools in the world by the 2016 QS World Rankings of Universities by Subject. The university was one of only three institutions in Melbourne to be listed in the top 50 for the Art and Design subject area.
Faculties & Schools
- Faculty of Business and Law:
- Faculty of Health, Arts and Design:
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- School of Design
- School of Health Sciences
- National Institute of Circus Arts Australia (NICA)
- Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology:
- School of Science
- School of Engineering
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
Campus services and facilities
Swinburne has campuses across Melbourne and a campus in Malaysia. Our campuses are close to public transport. They provide specialised facilities and unique learning environments to support you in your studies. We also offer flexible online learning options.
Swinburne’s main campus is located in Hawthorn, ten minutes by train from the Melbourne CBD.
Our Croydon campus offers vocational education programs including trades and spoken and written English.
Swinburne’s Wantirna campus is home to purpose-built teaching and learning facilities that provide practical training for students.